Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Day 4

Today is day four of being on furlough due to the government shut down.  I thought that I might share some thoughts here.  I will avoid (mostly) the politics.  We have been threatened if we talked to media.  It is punishable by fine or prison or both if we work during the shutdown.

I did not think that the shutdown would happen.  It is threatened every year so I was somewhat surprised Tuesday when we actually went through the process of shutting down the office.  There is something unreal about sending your employees  mid morning and then locking up the office and walking out about noon.

By Wednesday night it became apparent that the crowd in Washington doesn't know what a decision is, yet alone how to make one, we started thinking about what we needed to do in the case this drags on for an extended period.

The first thing has to do with food.  We have our food storage in place so there will not be much need to go to the grocery store.

Yesterday was a fun day.  We have had some unusually cool and wet weather here in the Southern Willamette valley.  It has been chili in the house.  So, instead of turning on the furnace, we cranked up the wood stove.  There is nothing quite like a slow burning and glowing fire.  It is really nice.  Not to mention, the electric bill shouldn't be big next month.

As for this morning's news, I don't see anything on the news that leads me to think this will end soon.  So, check back often.

The above was written on October 4th but I failed to post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment